Sunday 21 March 2010

Cox Brothers. Life is full of surprises.

On Saturday night I went to a pub I had never been too before. I met a whole bunch of people whom I was not expecting to meet and I had a blast.

Since the smoking ban I have been totally put off going to pubs, however, these days the Breweries and Landlords work especially hard to cater for the ‘dreaded smokers’ by placing them under huge square brollies – if you’re lucky there is also a heater, if you hit the jack-pot, then you may even get two. Last night was a jack-pot, it is just such a shame that it is still fucking freezing, even under one of them, it’s like being in a bathroom with a wall heater, if you are not directly underneath it then you remain cold, if someone else is standing in front of it, you will remain cold, you have to stand up and hog it for your-self, you may as well be standing in a cold room and smoking – oh, you are, except the cold room is in fact out-side. That said, you still find the more interesting people out-side, and those people would rather remain out-side and able to smoke than in-side, wanting too, knowing they are not allowed. Madness.

There was a band on, this I was also not expecting, sadly they were in-side and playing to a room full of ‘no-one’ for much of the time that I was there. It would have been a great atmosphere if the smokers had been in-side, we got sloppy seconds, sitting like criminals pawing at the door to be let in, the music barely getting through to us, every now and then I would be able to tune in, I would have loved to have had the best of both worlds, smoking, beer and them. That or give up smoking *thinks about it* nope, not going to happen. The unfortunately named Cox Brothers – in this day and age, surely a better name could be found? – were surprisingly good, sadly, I only remembered I had my camera with me as the third song I had enjoyed finished, so I missed the golden opportunity to record them, here is Easier To Lie, which was the only full song I actually managed to record, and the ending of Hard Times. For a little pub it was a great night. Tis a CAMRA real ale pub too :)






No comments: