Saturday 7 November 2009

Ladysmith Black Mambazo Soundalikes in York

I have been looking through my old video clips and found this one, taken in the great City of York, England mid-August 2009. Sadly I never thunked to ask them their name, so the nearest I can get is to say they are similar to Ladysmith Black Mambazo.
Ladysmith Black Mambazo is a male choral group from South Africa that sings in the vocal style of isicathamiya and mbube. They rose to worldwide prominence as a result of singing with Paul Simon on his album, Graceland and have won multiple awards, including three Grammy Awards. They were formed by Joseph Shabalala in 1960 and became one of South Africa's most prolific recording artists, with their releases receiving gold and platinum disc honours.
This performance absolutely blew me away, although the friend I was with couldn't quite understand my pleasure in watching and listening to them.
I feel really sad that I cannot put their name up on this blog as I would love to help them get a bit of publicity, so if anyone out there knows who these guys are.... please let me know.


No comments: